Re: Why does Debian use a nonstandard chsh?

Jor-el wrote:
> 	I was reading the Documentation/Changes document in kernel 2.2.5
> with an intent to verify whether my Slink installation was upto the proper
> levels of software when I noticed a problem with the chsh utility. For the
> 2.2 kernels, the util-linux packages should be at version 2.9i, and the
> way to verify this is by executing the command 'chsh -v'.
>
> 	'chsh' on Debian doesnt have an option to display the version
> number. When I looked at the source package ([wishlist] Could the source
> package of shadow and the corresponding binary package of passwd atleast
> get the same name?), I found that 'chsh' indeed only has a '-s' option on
> Debian.
>
> 	Further investigation has revealed that the Debian package uses a
> version of 'chsh' that has nothing to do with the "actual" 'chsh'
> available at metalab. This is the one that everyone else uses. Why is
> Debian different? Redhat, for instance uses this version, and yes, it dos
> have a '-v' option to display the version.

The version is from the shadow suite, like s/o else already told you.

Please file wishlist bugs against the proper package asking for the
features you're missing.  If you can provide some time please work
out a proper patch and append it.

Thanks,

	Joey

--
Let's call it an accidental feature.  --Larry Wall