Re: Intent to adopt: info

Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 04:24:12PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen wrote:
> > > It produces info, the standalone info browser
> >
> > Speaking of which, it would be nice to have a something for info like
> > /usr/bin/pager or /usr/bin/editor are plain text files, i.e. a single
> > generic name for "open an info browser at this node of this file", allowing
> > the local system administrator to choose a particular info browser (e.g.
> > "info", "jed-sl" or "pinfo").

> Christian Kurz contacted me on this subject too.
> How do other alternative systems work, like make/pmake, gcc/egcc,
> irc/epic/others?

Well it seems like make will stay there as make and pmake under this
name. I dont find a difference between gcc and egcs and irc seems to use
update-alternatives.

> I could rename GNU info to ginfo, and set up
> alternatives, but what to do with older versions? (we don't want
> to have old /usr/bin/info binary overwritten by a symlink or something)

That's right, but I sound's to me as the best solution to have a
general link info and this one poiting to the installed info. This would
make it easier for author's or package-maintainer who relie on an
installed info-browser.

> How about having all packages that provide info-browser (are these
> three all?) check for -x /usr/bin/info in their preinst scripts,
> and move it to /usr/bin/ginfo (and then setting up the symlinks
> in other scripts)?

pinfo provides info-browser, but I don't think that such a
preinst-script is a good solution to this problem.

Cheers
       Christian
--
In just seven days, I can make you a man!
		-- The Rocky Horror Picture Show