Re: Intenet to package tuxeyes

On 5 Apr 1999, Rene Hojbjerg Larsen wrote:

> talein@whitestar.b5 wrote:
> > Alright, I'll admit -- it's ... one of those packages
> > (like xeyes and xteddy) -- in fact, that's what it's
> > a combination of.  xpenguin and xeyes to be exact.
> >
> > But it's just *COOL* and I had to make it available.
That sounds very funny and as the xteddy maintainer I'd
be happy if you would complete the funny stuff on our desktop.

> > Lemme know if somebody else is working on it -- I'm
> > building now, but will upload in a few days if
> > nobody else calls dibs.
I'll definitely not working on it and don't have any plan to
do it but an URL would be interesting.

> You should note that there are a few license issues:
>
>   * The program is GPL but uses the QT toolkit.  This means that we cannot
>     legally distribute binaries of it unless the license is changed to
>     "GPL with permission to link with QT" or something similar.  You'll
>     have to talk with the author about that (he may not be aware of the
>     problem at all).
>
>   * Since the program depends on the non-free QT library, it'll have to go
>     in contrib.
Knowing the xteddy source I would suggest to have a look at the source.
In my opinion there couldn't be so much QT stuff in it that it couldn't
be replaced withh Imlib or GdkImlib stuff.  May be it is a work which
could be done in less time than the packaging effort will take.

Kind regards

      Andreas.