Re: Slink upgrade - the pain of it !!!!!

*Tyson Dowd wrote:
> 1.  Debian Slink requires multi-CDs to be created with the correct
>     control files.  There should be Packages.cd files with the Packages
>     files as well as a .disk/info file at the root of the filesystem.
>
> 2.  You need to use dpkg-multicd method to use a multi-cd set effectively.
>     Apt doesn't appear to support multi-cd installation properly -- it
>     doesn't ask you to swap discs properly.  Apt can be
>     useful for the first step of upgrading from hamm to slink (e.g. just
>     upgrading what's on disc 1), but after that use dpkg-multicd.
>
> 3.  I feel the release was rushed through the door without care taken
>     to ensure the CDs created were ready and working.
	Probably.  But,I got the impression that S. McIntyre was working  his
ass off during those last couple of weeks  (probably others were as
well).  I tested a multi-cd install  couple of times, and it seemed OK.    As
I wrote earlier, supporting copying the CDs to a disk archive and using apt
would be a good addition.  I found it made the installation much easier.
(Only works for those with relatively new hw, (ie big drive) )
	John
--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org