Re: Slink upgrade - the pain of it !!!!!

	I just sent some slinks CD's (main,contrib,non-free)
that I burned myself to a friend.  I
I found the multi-CD method a pain, but OK for a fresh install if you just
take the initially selected packages. Where did you find apt-CD ?  I looked all
over for such a method.
	I wrote a little script to copy the CD's one by  one to a harddrive.
Then I just recommended dselect with the apt method, and after that, just
apt.  If you have the space, this is by far the most convenient method.
   The binary disks, #1,#2,#5, are arranaged so that a smaller number
does not depend on anything on a higher number.  I seem to recall that #1
contains a Packages file with only the packges which are on disk #1.  I
thought #2 contained a main Packages file with all the main packages, (ie
those from both #1 and #2). But now that you mention it I remeber catting a
couple of Package files together.(I don't have the script with me now). Oh
yes now I remember, it is the Packages.CD files that are cummulative
The normal Packges files only contain what is on a single CD. So they have
to be set aside, catted together and then put into the disk archive by hand.
(Also CD's that don't have any packages from one of main contrib or non-free
will overwrite with an empty Packages file)
	I suggested putting such a script or some docs on the official
CD, but since everyone was too busy, including myself, it didn't happen.

	Is your upgrade problem related to any of this ?

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org