Re: Perl modules and perl upgrade

On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 12:02:00PM -0800, Darren/Torin/Who Ever...
wrote:

> Zephaniah E. Hull, in an immanent manifestation of deity, wrote:
> >The problem is that the upstream perl maintainers have proven that we
> >can NOT count on perl5.006 being compatible with perl5.005 in any
> >major way..
>
> There are still major programs that will work without change between
> versions.  I know this because I have an 8K line project that works
> with both 5.004_04 and 5.005_0[23].  There needs to be a way for
> people to depend/recommend/suggest Perl without worrying about a
> version.

Hmmm, after some thought (and some asking of the perl grues) I think you
are right, however we do need to be careful..

> >> My current plan is to implement perl-thread in the same way that
> >> perl-debug is implemented, just with more files.  Since I haven't
> >> done it yet, I don't know if it will work.  We'll see.
> >
> >I'd much rather see the perl threading stuff done as just another
> >perl version, enforcing that different 'major' (5004, 5005) versions
> >are /NOT/ to be considered compatible with one another..
>
> The compatibility of full releases of Perl (5.004, 5.005) and the
> compatibility of Perl threading are orthogonal.  Perl threading is
> still a rather experimental feature.

However it very well may not be come perl5.006, or perl6.000.. :/

Trying to come up with a clean way to specify perl5.004 compatible could
be, interesting..

> >ANYTHING which can't afford to break horribly if /usr/bin/perl points

However it very well may not be come perl5.006, or perl6.000.. :/

Trying to come up with a clean way to specify perl5.004 compatible could
be, interesting.

> >the threaded perl, or some incompatible new version of perl, should
> >use some means to be sure that what it uses is something which is
> >known good...
>
> /usr/bin/perl will never, ever point to a threaded Perl through some
> package.  This would be similar to but worse than it pointing to
> perl-debug.  Someone will have to specifically do this themselves.
> They can then deal with that world of pain themselves.

This is a rather hazardous claim, even more so if the threaded perl
becomes standard.. (=:]

> Darren

Zephaniah E. Hull.

--