Re: Howto implement device detection without thrashing

Sorry for the late replies. I've been in and out of town for a while.

> Yes, that will work.  However, Randolph suggested saving only the ID of the
> upcoming test, implying that crash recovery would involve redoing all
> tests.  That is what I was responding to:

I wasn't being clear -- what I originally intended was that we can save the
ID of the current test (call it n), then if we need to restart, we would
start at test n+1. For all the tests 1..n-1, we need to write out in a
separate place config data that we have detected. As Knghtbrd pointed out
though, we also need to do something about scans causing the machine to hang
so that on subsequent rescans (say if hardware changes) we don't crash again.

I do intend to write a prototype of this in a few weeks time. Maybe when we
have some actual code to test we can work out these problems....

randolph
--
Debian Developer <tausq@debian.org>
http://www.TauSq.org/