Put an end to wars and off-topic discussions(was: make anacron a base package)

Do we really need a flame war on here?  No.  Is this "discussion" constructive?
No.  This thread USED to be about makeing anacron a base package, so, since
 this has gone off-topic, could people PLEASE take their flame wars to private
e-mail?  Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion, but I for one am tired of
seeing endless threads which have virtually NO value to the Debian community.
Now, I agree that there are several KEY packages which some would like to see go
into base, and I honestly don't see why smail is the default rather than
sendmail, which is considered the standard on most UNIX based systems.  But,
that's an opinion.  Some will disagree with my choice.  Oh well.  I'd like to
point out that the volume on this list is large, only because people insist on
starting wars on here, and generally can't accept that other people will have a
difference of opinion.

With that out of the way, I propose that for these different packages which do
similar tasks, why not have a menu or question at the beginning of the process
to set which of the mailers, and cron packages, and so on that people feel
should be the default on their systems?  I'd personally love to be able to
select that sendmail and not smail is the standard mail transport agent on my
system.  Is there a reason why we can't have a multi-stage install?  That seems
to be the middle-ground for the arguments we are seeing here.

							Dave Bristel