Re: Mostly free software...

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 10:35:59PM -0600, David Welton wrote:

> > Often there's no particular reason for these in-house apps to be free, but
> > often there is, and there's certainly no harm in it most of the time.
>
> Sure there is, if there is someone else who is paying nothing to use
> the work that you had to pay a developer for.

But that isn't causing anyone harm.  Many of RMS's writings explain why this
is so.  In short: the people getting freebies weren't going to pay _you_
anyway.  In fact, they might never have used any kind of similar product if
it hadn't been free.

That means you're helping yourself, by getting useful software, helping a
developer, by paying him, and helping another company, by providing useful
software.

I don't see any harm in that.  I'd like to be the developer though :)

Have fun,

Avery