Re: Intent to package... but do you really want to know?

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 08:58:32PM +1000, Tyson Dowd wrote:
> On 30-Mar-1999, Fabrizio Polacco <fpolacco@icenet.fi> wrote:
> >
> > What if we set up a debian-devel-intent for these announcements?
> > Just to reduce the volume of the list.
>
> Why?  Why not just take the other non-technical discussion off this
> list.

Well, more easy to say than to do.
And there is also the philosophical question about "where discuss
general stuff?" A default list for "all the rest" is needed, and it
looks like it is debian-devel. With >500 developers, I'd rather say that
it is quite _low_ off-topic.

> Those messages are not a problem, they are easy to see and
> worth everyone seeing, and often lead to a useful discussion.

Yes, in fact I'm not proposing to eliminate them, just to put them
apart.
When I joined debian, it was policy that debian-devel should be in CC of
any bug reply. Even the bug submissions were send to this list.
When they grew in volume they were moved to their own list.
I think it was a smart move :-)
The same happened for policy and packaging basic help.

> I would like to see these posts make up more than 10% of the posts,
> simply by eliminating other rubbish on these lists.

The verb you use ('eliminate') has unmanageable implications.

fab