Re: Intent to package xmemos

"Darren O. Benham" <gecko@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 10:55:39AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > Then why is LyX in Debian, and why has it been fore years?  What is
> > the reasoning behind your argument?
> First of all, this isn't *my* argument.  I packaged an GPLed Xform using
> program and had it rejected by the ftpmasters for just that reason...
>
> Second, I heard (and I have not verified this and have not gone on any sort
> of hunt for these things) that lyx has a special "licensed under GPL but
> it's okay to distribute binaries linked with xform" clause...

I have checked, and /usr/doc/lyx/copyright reads:

  Copyright:

  LyX is free software, so you can freely copy and use it. But to protect
  the authors, who have put a substantial amount of free time in developing
  this product, you must follow some guidelines, in this case it's the
  "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE" version 2 or any later version.

it makes no mention of special exemptions.

NOTE: this is not a call to remove lyx from the distribution.