Re: Suggestion for change to debian package format

> Mark Phillips wrote:
> > [snip nice suggestion]
>
> This has already been discussed and is being addressed in apt.
> Here's how it will work (if I understand correctly):
>
> Apt will keep a boolean flag called 'Auto' for each package installed
> on your system.  'Auto' is short for 'Automatically uninstall this
> package when it is not required anymore because of a dependency'.
>
> [nice explanation snipped]
>
> Is that what you were looking for?

Almost.  This would work for "required" packages, but what about
"suggested" packages?

Perhaps dselect or the apt front end could behave the same (by
default) with "suggested" packages, with the user being able to turn
off the auto flag at selection time.

Cheers,

Mark.