Re: Brain dead users are bad, clueless users can learn!

On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 06:56:21PM -0800, Simon Martin wrote:
> I think this thread should change name. It should be "Brain ded users are
> bad for debian".
>
> I started out as a "clueless" Debian user. I was sent on a one week Solaris
> administraction course and a couple of years later downloaded Debian off of
> the net. You can't get much more clueless that that without being "brain
> dead". Since then I have read the, man browsed the info, and now I have a
> few servers up and running, firewalls, samba, I can install Debian with my
> eyes shut (almost) and am now developing software for customers. Ok, I
> started out the a degree in CS and IT, but I was still green behind the ears
> as far as Linux was concerned.

Right on!  I went from knowing virtually NOTHING about Linux at all to
where I am now all with Debian.  While not totally clueless, I most
certainly needed lots of handholding for the first 4 hours.  Debian gave
it to me because I wasn't totally clueless, but the average person who
can sit there and make a third mouse button work in windoze without
having to install a fancy memory hogging driver or similar small registry
hacks can probably install Linux just fine.

We don't have to target the absolute most brain dead user, they'll use
what is preinstalled anyway.  We can target the average user who could
learn given a little handholding at first and beyond.

* dark has changed the topic on channel #debian to: Later tonight: After
  months of careful refrigeration, Debian 2.0 is finally cool enough to
  release.