String.h + library from old GCC 2.6.x in Debian 2.1

Hello all,

I'd like to ask a simple question about a library that I believe I need
to compile some old (Slackware 2.1) software written for GCC 2.6.x and
the corresponding libg++. Yes, I know it does not involve questions about
"who will pay to develop free software," "should IBM open its specs,"
or other moral issues, but I am under the impression that this is the
right forum for this. If not, please forgive me.

I have a bunch of C++ software written on a Slackware 2.1 platform
with GCC 2.6.x from 1994. This software uses "String.h" from the
libg++ and many of the String class functions. I've installed the
"Devel" environment but cannot seem to find the String.h file. It
seems that furthermore, libg++ has given way to libstdc++, which it
seems has strings implemented differently.

I would love to know how I can get this software to build and run
on the new Debian 2.1 install. Your help is appreciated and a CC to
me directly is as well.

Thanks,

Doug