Re: Intent to package: mason

On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 12:09:39AM -0600, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> ...once my developer application is approved.
>
> Mason is a firewall configuration tool that works "by example"; it can
> watch the connections you're making and create rules to allow/block
> those particular connections.
>
> It's pretty snazzy; it supports both ipfwadm and ipchains, supports some
> rather complex protocols, will do the TOS flag, will set up masq for
> you.  It even can be persuaded to output Cisco firewall rules.
>
> Best of all, it's GPL.  For more info:
> http://users.dhp.com/~whisper/mason/

You have picked a really 'dangerous' application. I tried it a few
day ago. After using it, it took about 2 hours to get my machine running
again.

- /dev/null was turned into a directory
- /etc/init.d scripts were hosed.
- mason modified several files in /etc without asking

Beware!

Joop
--

 Joop Stakenborg PA4TU, ex-PA3ABA <pa3aba@debian.org>
 Linux Hamradio Applications and Utilities Homepage