Re: a note or two about configuration management r6

I said once that I'm (still) making something like a Control Panel for Debian.

Unfortunately, just after I sent that e-mail, my mail server stopped working
and I've lost all the replys (I got only some of them.. ), and I tried to look
at the archives at the Debian site, but it was not updated enough.

Well, let me explain better :

I'm doing it as modules. There are , at the moment :
 - A printer module, configures the printer
 - A network module, configures the network
 - A partitions modules, sets where a partition or device should be mounted.

There will be more soon, like : sound , modules, modens, ....

This Control Panel is not stand alone.. let me explain better : I'll not create
¨another¨ configuration file, or create new ones. For example : the printer
module shows the window, the user configurates in a GUI and the, that module
calls magicfilterconfig and configure it. The network module changes the file
/etc/init.d/network , the partition module changes /etc/fstab and the next
modules will do like you were doing ¨by hand¨ .... but in a GUI...

If you think it is better to do it in the way you are thinking (doing database,
configuration files, etc..) no problem, I can change that. I am doing it only
to be more easy for people to configure things, like printers, networks, sound,
etc...

Diego Lages