Re: If Debian wants to grow, let it grow. Or: King James reading Anarchy FAQ

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 03:17:35PM +0000, Dave Swegen wrote:

> > Right, I see the same problem. Especially, any html or plain ASCII file can
> > be processed with many many tools (much more then fortune), and has
> > theremore even more reason to be included, right?
>
> Are you honestly telling me that you don't think there is any difference
> between a run-of-the-mill textfile and a fortune file, either in content or
> functionality?

Yes, exactly. (Although I find the functionality of a fortune file be very
limited.)

Debian can't assume any value of fucntionality. Stuff that has no value to
you may be interesting to me.

> It seems to me you have got the whole thing arse-backwards:
> it's not whether there is a program that can read the file (hell, I can
> read a fortune file with more), but if the file is formatted to be used by
> a program that provides extra functionality beyond just being able to read
> it.

Is this your criterion? HTML can be processed by the sgml tool suite.

My real point is that Debian can't can't can't judge about functionality.

Thanks,
Marcus