Multiple-Architecture Sources

I've been maintaining a package (omniorb) that has been i386-centric (until
now).  Recently, the upstream author added support for Linux-alpha.

I was wondering what changes I need to make to get the build daemon to build
this package.  I have adjusted my control file to include the alpha
architecture, but the build process requires you to uncomment a line in the
main configuration script that identifies the architecture you will build
under.  I could add logic to uncomment this line automatically, but am not
sure what the best way of identifiying the intended build target -- would a
call to `uname` be sufficient?

Any help from cross-architecture packagers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Brent