Re: Slink to potato upgrade

ijr@po.cwru.edu wrote:
> No program *needs* to be compiled to work with the new libraries.  Programs
> compiled against glibc2.0 can work with libraries compiled against glibc2.1,
> this is not an issue.

This is demonstrably not true.  Go run slink's elm on a potato system if
you don't believe me.

> The vast, vast majority of programs that break are those that are poorly
> written and make use of internal libc symbols.

That's no excuse.  Binary compatibility is binary compatibility.  If we're
going to stop supporting poorly written code, we might as well give up now.

Furthermore, glibc's idea of what is "internal" is not exactly standard.
I still remember the problems with fsck and llseek.

Richard Braakman