glibc2.1 questions, how to use slink shared libraries

What is the correct incantation to run a program with the slink
libraries on a potato system, assuming that I have the potato
libraries hidden away in /tmp/libc.slink directory?  I tried the following:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp/libc.slink/lib:/tmp/libc.slink/usr/lib /bin/ls

/bin/ls: error in loading shared libraries: /tmp/libc.slink/lib/libc.so.6: undefined symbol: _dl_global_scope_end

I tried using LD_PRELOAD in various ways as well.

--
Kevin Dalley
SETI Institute