Re: Volume on -devel

Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 11:02:28AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > All maintainer mails should be auto-approved by a bot by checking PGP
> > signatures
>
> You want all maintainer-sent mail to -devel to be PGP signed?
> I oppose to that - it'd make my postings to the list most inconvenient
> for me (setting up, delayed execution etc), plus that I don't feel
> the urge to digitally sign everything, with non-free piece of software.

Agreed.

There are several fundamental problems with that idea:

 1. PGP or even encryption is not legal everywhere.
 2. I'm already annoyed enough to have to download PGP signatures from
    people that say nothing more than "ditto".  Why PGP-sign
    EVERYTHING?!!
 3. The idea of requiring developers to use non-free software to
    express their opinions is an outright assault on what we stand
    for.

John