Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

On Thu, 18 Mar, 1999, Branden Robinson wrote:
> I completely disagree.
>
> "We cannot allow a trend like this to start"?  It already has.  We have
> stuff like funny-manpages, and as I said before, the King James Bible.

funny-manpages is computer related.

> What aren't we going to let in, again?  Inflammatory material?  What about
> Project Gutenberg?  Is Shakespeare allowed?  What about _Ulysses_?

How about this then? [with random snips and comments]

$ dpkg -L miscfiles

/usr/doc/miscfiles/GNU-manifesto.gz	- The GNU manifesto
/usr/doc/miscfiles/ascii.gz			- ASCII codes referance table
/usr/doc/miscfiles/abbrevs.gen.gz	- abbreviations used on the internet
/usr/doc/miscfiles/abbrevs.talk.gz	- abbreviations in talk and live chat
/usr/doc/miscfiles/airport.gz		- List of airports
/usr/doc/miscfiles/birthtoken.gz	- stone and flower for each month.
/usr/doc/miscfiles/cities.dat.gz	- List of cities
/usr/doc/miscfiles/inter.phone.gz	- International phone codes
/usr/doc/miscfiles/languages.gz		- ISO 639 Language specifications
/usr/doc/miscfiles/latin1.gz		- ISO_8859-1:1987 character listing
/usr/doc/miscfiles/mailinglists.gz	- GNU mailing lists
/usr/doc/miscfiles/na.phone.gz		- North America phone codes
/usr/doc/miscfiles/operator.gz		- c operators
/usr/doc/miscfiles/postal.codes.gz	- USA state postal codes
/usr/doc/miscfiles/zipcodes.gz		- USA Zip Codes
/usr/share/dict/web2.gz				- Webster's Second International wordlist
/usr/share/dict/web2a.gz			- Webster's Second Internations appendix
/usr/share/dict/connectives.gz		- prepositions, pronouns, and the like
/usr/share/dict/propernames.gz		- ???
/usr/share/state/us-constitution.gz	- The US Constitution (Political?)
/usr/share/state/us-declaration.gz	- The US Declaration (?)
/usr/share/rfc/std-index.txt.gz		- Indexes of internet standardization docs
/usr/share/rfc/fyi-index.txt.gz		- "
/usr/share/rfc/rfc-index.txt.gz		- "
/usr/info/tasks.info.gz				- The GNU task list

> Why *shouldn't* people be allowed to package politically oriented
> documents?  Some folks outside our bizarre little niche of the world would
> find the GNU General Public License a pretty politically inflammatory
> document.

Definatly

> Who's going to be Debian's censor?  I submit that no one should be.  There
> is no objective criterion for evaluating the worth of documents in this
> fashion.  I vote that we let it in.  If this pains you, get about drafting
> some policy for that long-proposed super-extra section of the archive.
> There's lots of stuff that could go into it, and which would make room on
> future CD-ROM's of main.

Call it `data'.

> But if we're going to that, we MUST have unambigious rules about what will
> be categorically rejected from the distribution (as being non-germane to
> the purpose of an operating system).  That means NO religious, political,
> ideological, or other tracts will be allowed in.  I see no reason why
> packages like verse, or programs with similar function should be removed,
> as they are just that -- programs.  The data files may not be included with
> the programs however.

Makes the programs pretty useless without there data files.

> This leaves fortune in a nasty place, though.  fortune-mod could stay in
> for the same reason as verse, but what about the cookie files themselves?
> It's tempting to want them grandfathered in (the fortune program goes way,
> way back), but frankly I think it would be hypocritical of me to suggest
> this (regardless of how many fortune cookies are on computer science
> topics).  If you're going to start a fire in your neighbor's yard, you have
> to accept the possibility that it will spread to yours.

A lot of the fortune cookies are computer releated.

$ fortune -f

100.00% /usr/share/games/fortunes
     3.28% art
     0.07% ascii-art
     7.29% computers
     8.13% cookie
     7.88% definitions
     1.48% drugs
     1.45% education
     1.16% ethnic
     1.41% food
     3.09% fortunes
     0.39% goedel
     1.40% humorists
     1.07% kids
     1.43% law
     0.75% linuxcookie
     1.83% literature
     1.08% love
     0.21% magic
     0.53% medicine
     4.15% men-women
     4.60% miscellaneous
     0.38% news
     8.78% people
     0.36% pets
     3.55% platitudes
     4.94% politics
     0.96% riddles
     4.44% science
     5.13% songs-poems
     1.05% sports
     1.61% startrek
     0.14% translate-me
     2.87% wisdom
     4.50% work
     3.91% zippy
     2.77% linux
     1.95% perl

Well maybe not.

> But do address Yann's earlier question, yes, in the meantime its priority
> should be lowed to extra.

Have you tried reading it? Some of the principles are quit interesting and
could be appiled to Debian.
--
I consume, therefore I am