Re: Potato, sendmail, glibc 2.1, and libdb2

On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 01:03:17AM -0600, srivasta@golden-gryphon.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	This is a sendmail that works with libc6   2.1.1-0pre1.3 and
>  libdb2  2.6.4-1. If you wish, this could be uploaded to Incoming.

But I don't think that this is a solution.
The changelog that Bostik put on the web (but not in the source) says
that applications must be recompiled with the new lib.
This is enough for me to say that the soname should be changed.
He doe not change the major version number (as I would wrongly expect),
then I have to do th echange on the minor version.
I have prepared libdb2.6_2.6.4-2 with soname 2.6 instad of simply 2 .

But id doesn't install because I stupidly didn't follow policy and let
some utility program in the runtime package.
Therefore I have created a new package libdb2-util_2.4.14 and reupload
the 7 packages from version 2.4.14 into incoming (an a copy in my home
~fpolacco/ ).
I expect dinstall to reject them as they have lower version number
(please, don't suggest to use epoch; it's not the case here).
Just waiting for Guy Maor to delete the broken ones on the ftp site.
(these are the surprises that comes from unstable :-) I am not running
potato yet, nor using sendmail).

I will upload libdb2.6 packages this night.

>  http://master.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/sendmail/
>
> 	manoj

Wow, is the real manoj coming back? :-)

fab