Re: Device detection?

> the *only* way to do it, but in conjunction with manual setup it seems to
> be the best option we have) we *have* to use checkpointing to make sure we
> can recover from a hardware hang if it occurs.  If we don't then we can't
> complete the autodetection procedure.  Checkpointing every n devices could
> cause valid devices to be missed and should therefore probably be avoided.
> Basically it boils down to having to checkpoint for every device.

I still fail to believe that checkpointing causes disk thrashing (the way
windows does). Any database system that does error recovery does
checkpointing for every potentially permanent operation. This is typically
on the order of 10-100 transactions/sec on a reasonably loaded system. I bet
you they don't thrash...

but otherwise, i agree with everything you said :-) i guess the way to go is
to start by looking at the code from pciutils and isapnptools, and see what
we can use from there as a framework to build a more general tool. these
couple of weeks are kinda hectic for me, so i won't be able to code
something up. but if no one beats me to it (which you are all encouraged to
do :P) i'll try to put something together in a few weeks time.

randolph

btw, maybe i'm imagining things, but win2k seems to thrash less when doing
device detection. but i'm not positive.
--
Debian Developer <tausq@debian.org>
http://www.TauSq.org/