pnpdump CAN be harmful

On Sun, Mar 14, 1999 at 08:04:51PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:

> I'd do your 1 and 2 first.  PCI should be totally harmless.  PnP should
> not break anything if you have an ISA bus (see above)  Then we can
> consider doing stuff like reading other sources for config info or
> probing ports.

That's wrong. pnpdump will crash the machine if
1. you do not have a (correct) PnP BIOS and
2. you do not have any isapnp-cards installed and
3. you have a card installed in the io-range in which pnpdump does it's ports
probes.

This happened to me - I bought an ISA-PnP network card, booted the rescue disc
and started a pnpdump. Result: The machine hangs. Reason: The network card was
in "jumperless mode" (arg!) and set to io=0x300. When the pnp-probe reached
that port -> boom!

cu
    Torsten