Re: GNOME universe

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Navindra Umanee wrote:

> Montreal Tue Mar 16 16:32:55 1999
>
> Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> >
> > > Montreal Tue Mar 16 03:36:37 1999

> > > Why not --sysconfdir=/etc/gnome ?
> >
> > Why not put all applications linked to Xaw in /etc/xaw?  Why not put all
> > perl based applications in /etc/perl?  Why not...
>
> Why not put Fvwm2 files in /etc/X11/fvwm2/ or GTK+ files in /etc/gtk/
> or GNUStep files in /etc/GNUStep/.  Oops, you do that already.  Yet
> what is this meaningless paper.config doing in /etc/?

OK.  paper.config is probably name-space pollution.

However, your examples aren't valid, IMO..

GNOME is not a single package - it's a set of libraries and some CORBA
interfaces.  I don't see why we should stick all its conf files in one
directory, any more than we should any other arbitrary grouping of
packages.

I don't want to emphasis the distinction between GNOME and non-GNOME apps
- I see a spectrum of apps, with GNOME support varying from none to
complete.

If I were to port xemacs to gnome, and call it gnome-xemacs, I wouldn't
move it's config files..

> > Because we have a file hierarchy specification, and we attempt to conform
> > to it.
>
> The FHS doesn't say you can't arrange your config files
> hierarchically or if it does, it should be shunned.

Indeed, it doesn't say that.

But we use hierarchically organisation for specific packages, not for
arbitrary groupings of apps.

Jules