Re: /var/run/utmp

Whether or not Debian uses the utmpd in glibc2.1, programs should still be
using the library calls for utmp instead of containing code to do it
themselves.

I have about 16 packages that appear to have this problem.  There are
probably more, in packages I don't have installed, but I'm guessing not a
lot more (programs that need utmp are usually in base).

What do people think should be done?  Filing bug reports against the
individual packages, filing a mass bug report against general, or directly
contacting the various upstream sources, since that's where the bugs will
eventually have to be fixed?

--
Dan Gohman
gohmandj@cda.mrs.umn.edu