ncpfs problem

Sorry,

this mail should go to debian-user but I'm not subscribed there and
need a quick answer for a firend of mine.  He has installed
a 2.1 and tried to mount a novell drive.  His kernel .config
file looks like

# Networking options
#
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_NOSR=y
CONFIG_SKB_LARGE=y
CONFIG_IPX=y
## personal remark:  I failed when I used IPX as module and so
## I recommended to compile IPX directly into kernel

#
# Filesystems
#
# CONFIG_QUOTA is not set
CONFIG_MINIX_FS=m
# CONFIG_EXT_FS is not set
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
# CONFIG_XIA_FS is not set
CONFIG_NLS=m
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=m
CONFIG_FAT_FS=m
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=m
# CONFIG_UMSDOS_FS is not set
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=m
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437=m
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_850=m
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_1=m
CONFIG_NLS_KOI8_R=m
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NCP_FS=m

When calling ncpmount he gets the following error message:

ncpmount: Could not alloc IPX socket. Probably no IPX support in kernel when trying to find MLUPHYS2

If IPX weas compiled as module he got the same message, because
kerneld did not load the ipx module automatically.  After
     modprobe ipx
he got
ncpmount: No primary IPX interface found when trying to find MLUPHYS2

Any hint to solve this problem?

Remark (now we come back to developer issues):  I would prefer a
default configuration for /etc/modules in which "auto" is enabled and
not hidden by a comment.  Any reason for that??

Kind regards

    Andreas.