Re: Intent to package UPC barcode generator ; barcode

Hi,

Jim:

The netpbm package contains pbmupc, from its manual:
pbmupc - create a Universal Product Code bitmap

Lee:

A few weeks ago I had a chance to talk to a guy in Sun Javasoft who
built in a couple of weeks a JavaPC-based Point of Sale demo and as
far as I remember it's pretty cheap to buy a hand-held bar-code reader
which already parses the UPC codes to digits and send them to the
computer as if they were pressed on the keyboard.

As for the database - it sounds pretty easy.  I suspect an XML-based
database would be most portable.