Re: /var/run/utmp

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 04:16:17PM -0800, Joel Klecker wrote:
> There is another reason for utmpd, and that's to allow programs to
> write utmp entries without needing to be suid root.
> In any event, due to the distressingly large number of programs that
> manipulate the utmp and wtmp files directly, I am getting rid of
> utmpd in the next release.

NO!!!!!

NO!!!  OH, PLEASE GOD, NO!!!!

THE HUMANITY!!!

*ahem*.

Really, please put it back soon.  It's time to migrate.  It's *BAD* to have
stuff sitting around setuid root just so it can muck with the utmp file.

Miquel van Smoorenburg is cool and I respect his opinion, but in the end
life will be better with Unix98 pty handling.

Of course, I speak from a biased position, since I package xterm, and I
desperately want to get rid of its setuid bit.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    I have a truly elegant proof of the
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    above, but it is too long to fit into