Re: /var/run/utmp

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 04:16:17PM -0800, Joel Klecker wrote:
> >I haven't installed glibc2.1 yet (just came back from CA), but I assume
> >now glibc implements /var/run/utmp and /var/run/utmpx like Solaris does
> >for backwards compatibility with libc5?
>
> There is another reason for utmpd, and that's to allow programs to
> write utmp entries without needing to be suid root.
> In any event, due to the distressingly large number of programs that
> manipulate the utmp and wtmp files directly, I am getting rid of
> utmpd in the next release.

Please don't do that..  utmpd is one of the real advantages of glibc2.1,
I'd much rather stuff than not use new features which have the end result
of making the system a little more secure (by not requiring suid in some
things that previously needed it..)

I think Overfiend agrees, but I'll let him comment for himself.

"In the event of a percieved failing of the project leadership #debian is
empowered to take drastic and descisive action to correct the failing,
including by not limited to expelling officials, apointing new officials
and generally abusing power"
        -- proposed amendment to Debian Constitution