Re: virtual packages

On Sun, Mar 14, 1999 at 10:10:38AM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
> so I know virtual packages like c-compiler require approval, but is it
> necessary for situations like:
>
> xfs2.0.36 Provides xfs
> xfs2.2.3  Provides xfs
> arlad Depends xfs
>
> Or can I just do it without asking for approval?

Uh, what's that?  From the version numbers it looks like a kernel thing,
but...

Package: xfs
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 362
Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
Source: xfree86
Version: 3.3.2.3a-11
Replaces: xbase (<< 3.3.2.3a-2)
Depends: libc6, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.3)
Suggests: xfonts-100dpi, xfonts-75dpi, xfonts-base, xfonts-scalable
Conffiles:
 /etc/X11/xfs/config f1750556bc8acbaf51c3de1f439f556e
 /etc/X11/xfs/xfs.options a7c971ea280e8a2126be30efef62f71e
 /etc/init.d/xfs bed6a404d7bd4a93a1799ec255966c08
 xfs is a daemon that listens on a network port and serves X fonts to X servers
 (and thus to X clients).  All X servers have the ability to serve locally
 installed fonts for themselves, but xfs makes it possible to offload that job
 from the X server, and/or have a central repository of fonts on a networked
 machine running xfs so that all the machines running X servers on a network do
 not require their own set of fonts.  xfs may also be invoked by users to, for
 instance, make available X fonts in user accounts that are not available to
 the X server or to an already running system xfs.

In my bizarre little corner of the world, xfs is one of my packages.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   Reality is what refuses to go away when
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   I stop believing in it.