Re: openpty: No such file or directory

On Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 04:51:54AM -0700, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> Quoting Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>:
> > You didn't notice that you've been upgraded to glibc2.1???  Oh dear.
> >

> hehe...well I kinda caught it out of the corner of my eye..but didn't pay
> too much attention till later.  I kinda trust that my system will do
> something stupid once in a while since I do run the devel stuff... :)
>

> =Topic on #debian: if telnetd/sshd/etc after glibc2.1 upgrade don't
> =      work, restart them || glibc2.1 casualties list: apt 0.1.10, prcs,
> =      libtricks, libgc4
>
> sshd still don't work..but that's ok...ssltelnet does. so I'm good.

Glibc 2.1 has the support for new pty system. I had the same problem.
>From Chages file in 2.2.x kernel:
   Optional support for Unix98 pty devices has also been added. If you
   want to use the Unix98 ptys, you should be running at least
   glibc-2.0.9x, and you must switch completely to Unix98 pty's.  The
   general procedure for configuring Unix98 pty support is:

   - Compile your kernel with CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS and CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS.
   - mknod /dev/ptmx c 5 2
     chmod 666 /dev/ptmx
     mkdir /dev/pts
   - Add to /etc/fstab:

     none            /dev/pts        devpts        gid=5,mode=620    0 0

     (Note:  gid=5 is applicable for RedHat systems for which group "tty" has
     gid 5.  Adjust according to your distribution.  Use mode=600 if you want
     "mesg n" to be default.)
   - Mount /dev/pts

I did this and sshd is working again.