Re: freedom-subtracted.debian.org (was: Re: KDE)

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> > > You can read anything you wish into the above, but if they are "equal",
> > > then there would be no reason for the division, they would all just go
> > > into main. The subcatagorization here is of stable distributions.
> >
> > But only "main" is our distribution. contrib and non-free is not part of the
> > Debian distribution (in the sense that main is). This is a fact that could
>
> FUD. The Debian group manages, and distributes, main, contrib, and
> non-free. Each of these distributions are created by Debian developers who
> consider them important to the completeness of the distribution. Saying
> that they aren't part of Debian is a mistake.

  1. Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software

     We promise to keep the Debian GNU/Linux Distribution entirely free
     software. As there are many definitions of free software, we include
     the guidelines we use to determine if software is "free" below. We
will
     support our users who develop and run non-free software on Debian,
but
     we will never make the system depend on an item of non-free software.

Hmmm...

We promise to keep it entirely free software?  Sounds to me like contrib
and non-free aren't part of Debian..

  5. Programs That Don't Meet Our Free-Software Standards

     We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of programs
that
     don't conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have created
     "contrib" and "non-free" areas in our FTP archive for this software.
     The software in these directories is not part of the Debian system,
     although it has been configured for use with Debian. We encourage CD
     manufacturers to read the licenses of software packages in these
     directories and determine if they can distribute that software on
their
     CDs. Thus, although non-free software isn't a part of Debian, we
     support its use, and we provide infrastructure (such as our
     bug-tracking system and mailing lists) for non-free software
packages.