Re: freedom-subtracted.debian.org (was: Re: KDE)

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 02:32:09PM -0500, servis@purdue.edu wrote:

> I don't think the archive should be split on different servers, that
> would just be a royal pain to keep track of and a logistics nightmare
> for the ftp admins.  Why not just change the hirarchy of the archives to
> something like the following that would clearly separate the main dfsg
> free archive from the non-dfsg free archive:
>
> dists/
> 	potato/
> 		main/
> 			binary-{$arch}
> 			disk-{$arch}
> 			upgrade-*
> 			source
> 		non-dfsg/
> 			contrib/
> 				binary-{$arch}
> 				source
> 			non-free/
> 				binary-{$arch}
> 				source

Actually, including contrib and non-free anywhere under the dists
directory seems to imply that they ARE part of the debian distribution,
so maybe somthing more like...

dists/
      potato/
             binary-{$arch}
             disk-{$arch}
             upgrade-*
             source
contrib/
       potato/
              etc...
 non-free/
         potato/
               etc...

... would be more likely to get the desired point across.

> Of course apt would have to be updated to handle the change. For a while
> soft links could be put in for contrib and non-free to point to the new
> locations.

This will be likely for any kind of major change.

> If a separate server is the solution then why not the obvious choice of:
>
> non-dfsg.debian.org
>
> --
> Brian

Mike