Re: freedom-subtracted.debian.org (was: Re: KDE)

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 05:11:47PM -0700, John Lapeyre wrote:
> *Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > Yes, I can. It is an old and multiple times reported bug in dpkg which is
> > probably difficult to fix (or not, I don't know).
> >
> > And, I wouldn't call an empty directory left behind a big deal, and it is
> > certainly not a big mass of cruft. Changing the distribution because of that
> > is overreacting.
>   Is it perhaps because dpkg only removes files that were unpacked , but
> not any that were subsequently created, unless there is a clever postrm
> script?  I notice that this happens very often. But I never worry about it.
> I don't care if there are a few config files hanging around.

This can be one reason, but this would a bug in the package.

No, dpkg has also a bug. If there are conffiles in a directory, and you
remove the package and purge it later, dpkg will try to remove the dir
and fails (there are conffiles in it). Later, on purge, it removes the
conffiles but has completely forgotten about the dir.

Thanks,
Marcus