Re: Corel and Debian [sound config?]

> But seriously. It is probably more work then a real driver, but can
> be done. Even more: You can only implement the stuff that can be
> done. ALSA is completely run-time driven, and applications are
> expected to query the capabilities of the sound cards.
>
> So, you probably won't have a midi interface, but at least raw audio.

*Expected* to :-) You know, this often enough isn't done...

But seriously, it's probably possible to implement a raw audio device
only, if somebody finds the time and drive to do it...

> In this situation, I don't believe m68k people could add much to
> Alsa design, which is centered around latency of midi signals and
> other profi sound stuff... OTOH, alsa is flexible to support also
> small sound environments, without much features. It will certainly
> be easier then to integrate it in OSS!

Let's see. With OSS the main problem was to shut up many central
services that wanted to detect ports, IRQs, DMAs and so on, which is
totally meaningless on m68k. But this was mainly implemention stuff,
because the drivers/sound dir in the kernel was designed that way. We
basically now have an independent driver that provides /dev/audio,
/dev/dsp and a limited /dev/mixer. But for this, we also need to
convert frequencies and/or data format (a-law, u-law, direct,
endianess). Much of this probably can be recycled for alsa.

Roman