Re: why not mingetty

On 09-Mar-99 Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 04:21:17PM -0500, Shaleh wrote:
>> After seeing most Linux dists use mingetty, and recommending it to people
>> for a
>> while, I am wondering why we still give out agetty.
>>
>> Seems to me that people who want extended serial support will use mgetty.
>
> agetty is useful for serial terminals.  Answering modems is best done
> with mgetty, but I think I agree with you that we should use mingetty
> (and in fact I already do) in future versions.
>
> I think we should move to mingetty for new systems, but not mess with the
> old ones just so nothing breaks on people.

Agreed w/ one small problem.  mingetty is another of Michael Dormans
(un)maintained packages.  He has not made a release since before hamm (two NMUs
have been made) which he has not even acknowledged.

Michael, step up to the plate and do what needs to be done, or please give this
package to someone who cares.  Not a slam, diss, or otherwise.  Just please
let's keep this OS going forward.