Re: why not mingetty

On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 04:21:17PM -0500, Shaleh wrote:
> After seeing most Linux dists use mingetty, and recommending it to people for a
> while, I am wondering why we still give out agetty.
>
> Seems to me that people who want extended serial support will use mgetty.

agetty is useful for serial terminals.  Answering modems is best done
with mgetty, but I think I agree with you that we should use mingetty
(and in fact I already do) in future versions.

I think we should move to mingetty for new systems, but not mess with the
old ones just so nothing breaks on people.

To boldly go where no bunch of geeks have gone before :)   --Joel Klecker