Re: My views on release management

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, James R. Van Zandt wrote:

> Brandon Mitchell <bmitch@atdot.org> writes:
> >  I'd also suggest flattening the symlinks at the beginning of
> >the freeze for the mirrors to catch up earlier rather than later.
>
> I second this suggestion.

This is simply not possible. Flattening the symlinks for slink added about
a gig of extra space to the mirror and forced many of our our sites to
erase hamm in order to not fill their disks (many have probably filled
their drives and not even noticed!) Doing it earlier will force us to
restrict the availability of the previous release for a much longer time.

Unfortunately this will remain true as long as we don't have a mirror
program that can handle hardlinks (rsync does, but rsync has other issues)
We use hardlinks instead of duplicating files to save space on our
servers, a 8.8G archive is pushing things :|

Jason