Re: Debian uses deprecated color formats ?

On Sat, Mar 06, 1999 at 04:36:06PM -0700, John Lapeyre wrote:
> An upstream author sent me a patch to get his program
> to work under Debian.  The program can't handle a color
> spec.  This is the exchange
>
>   John Lapeyre writes:
>    > Error details:
>    > The offending color spec was #d6cdbb.
>
>   This is an ancient and deprecated format for color specs, one that
>   XTide does not support.
>
>   Please try the attached patch against XTide 2.1.1 to add support for
>   the deprecated format.  If it solves all of your problems then I'll
>   release it as XTide 2.1.2.
>
> Does this make sense ?  I have no idea.
>
> This is xtide, which is completely broken in slink.  It worked when I
> uploaded it, but I may not have tested it during the freeze.  I
> could not debug it , becuse gdb would not stop at any of the
> breakpoints I set,  (hmm I hope I disabled -O2 ..) , so I mailed the
> author asking for help.

He's right.

The "#RGB" (you can have up to four hex digits for each of R, G, and B)
format has been deprecated since the release of X11R5, seven years ago or
so.

An extensive discussion of color spaces in X is in the "COLOR NAMES"
section of X(1x).

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   If God had intended for man to go about