Debian uses deprecated color formats ?

An upstream author sent me a patch to get his program
to work under Debian.  The program can't handle a color
spec.  This is the exchange

  John Lapeyre writes:
   > Error details:
   > The offending color spec was #d6cdbb.

  This is an ancient and deprecated format for color specs, one that
  XTide does not support.

  Please try the attached patch against XTide 2.1.1 to add support for
  the deprecated format.  If it solves all of your problems then I'll
  release it as XTide 2.1.2.

Does this make sense ?  I have no idea.

This is xtide, which is completely broken in slink.  It worked when I
uploaded it, but I may not have tested it during the freeze.  I
could not debug it , becuse gdb would not stop at any of the
breakpoints I set,  (hmm I hope I disabled -O2 ..) , so I mailed the
author asking for help.

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>