Bug #32888: I think this is a bug in apt.

reassign 32888 apt
thanks

Just after asking the submitter about this, I have read some old mails
from debian-user. As per Message-ID: <E10HJzH-0000Fu-00@localhost> (sorry,
I didn't find the URL) I'm reassigning this bug to apt.

IMHO, it is not a bug that dpkg lets the user to remove an essential
package by using

dpkg --force-remove-essential --remove essentialpackage

It is a bug that the packaging system does it on behalf of the user
by asking a simple yes/no question (which is what apt seems to do).

In this case, at least, I would suggest apt to ask the question
in such way that "No" is the default answer.

Thanks.

--
 "7a1bd7a6b11aae73aa97f725aa1a21e0" (a truly random sig)