Re: slink release delayed

"Alexander N. Benner" <Nikodemus@innocent.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> Ship's Log, Lt. Julian Gilbey, Stardate 030399.2039:
> > > ./dists/slink/main/binary-all/devel/kernel-source-2.2.1_2.2.1-1.deb
> >
> > So file a grave bug against ftp.debian.org for kernel-*-2.2.1 to be
> > pulled from slink.  NOW!!  Better that we should ship with an older
> > kernel than with one which will kill people's hard disks.
>
> I think that was the whole point why 2.2.1 is a source only package and why
> 2.0.36 is still the default kernel.
> I don't think there is a need to remove a source only package.
> I am not aware how much effort was done to warn ppl that this kernel is not
> supported (or atleast discurraged :) but it should be enough.

This isn't good enough.  Having the source in 2.1 suggests that it is
worth compiling and running.  Some people always compile their own
kernels and may not even notice the kernel-image is not included in
the distribution.  If the 2.2.1 kernel is really badly broken, it
should not be in Debian 2.1.

--
Kevin Dalley
kevind@rahul.net