Re: PROPOSAL: "Staging Areas"

On Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 12:19:06AM -0800, Guy Maor wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > And that there doesn't seem to be anywhere for single-package staging to
> > be done.
> Yes, there is - experimental.

Last I heard experimental was for packages that were likely to completely
trash your system -- not just not work, but actively reformat hard drives
and stuff like that.

I quote from the developer's reference:

]      Developers should be very selective in the use of the _experimental_
]      distribution. Even if a package is highly unstable, it could well
]      still go into _unstable_; just state a few warnings in the
]      description. However, if there is a chance that the software could do
]      grave damage to a system, it might be better to put it into
]      _experimental_.

That seems just a little bit strong for things like "I've changed
how portmapper gets upgraded; it should work, but might not. Run
/etc/init.d/portmap restart if it doesn't".

And because I just know you're going to say "so just put it in
unstable, it's meant to be unstable afterall", well, that's not entirely
true. People *do* run important servers off unstable, and it would be nice
if we could avoid inflicting them with some of the really critical bugs.

> As I see it, these "super unstable"[1] distributions are a place where
> maintainers can try to stabilize a large group of packages at once.

(this would be a good thing to setup for slink and 2.2 I guess, too)

> [1]  Hmm, less stable than unstable.  Unusable? :)

``Windows'' ? :)

Cheers,
aj