Re: PROPOSAL: "Staging Areas"

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:

> That's all my idea is.  We are already doing this on an ad-hoc basis
> for the following:
>
>   * glibc 2.1
>   * gnome-apt
>   * xfree86
>   (probably several others)

Another example:

 * When I was bootstrapping the ARM distribution to use an versioned
   glibc, I couldn't upload the .debs I made to master, because they
   were incompatible with the old ones (which used an unversioned
   glibc).  If we had a staging area for the versioned packages, I
   could have uploaded them to master and assembled the distribution
   there.  That would have been a bit easier than what I did (create
   a separate distribution on my ftp site).

Cheers,

 - Jim