Re: soliciting opinions about potential new cron/at features.

On 23 Feb 1999 00:22:09 -0600, Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> said:

> For example, if the user uses GnuCash's GUI to say that they want
> GnuCash to "put $120 dollars into my savings account every 3rd
> Wednesday", we want to make sure that this happens with extremely high
> reliability, and with as few points of failure as possible.

Punting to cron doesn't fix the problem you're trying to fix.  The job
will never run unless the user's machine is up when the transaction is
meant to take place.  anacron is meant to fix that, but even that doesn't
work for you -- my system is generally up 24 hours a day so I have no
need for anacron, but sometimes I take it down to work on the hardware or
to install a new kernel or whatever.

I think you either have to bite the bullet and fix this inside Gnu Cash,
or to make a more extensive modification to cron.

--
Roderick Schertler
roderick@argon.org