Re: Boot disks and new DVD drives

On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 02:14:40PM +1100, Tyson Dowd wrote:
> > > His problem was that the machine wouldn't boot from the CD. I'll bring a
> > > slink CD (dated 2/2/99) when I visit him this sunday to see if we can
> > > figure out what is wrong.
> >
> > It is the system BIOS' job to boot from an attached ATAPI drive. So
> > I'd blame this instead of Debian unless you found any CD that can be
> > booted on that machine.
>
> Another good test would be to replace the DVD-ROM with a CD-ROM and
> see whether you can boot from that.  If so, it might be either hardware
> issue or a boot loader support issue.
>
> I have certainly booted from a DVD-ROM -- that is how I test the CD
> images I create.

Note that I can't boot a cdrom either.  Some AMI BIOS revisions out there
like the one that comes with my board do not handle the ATAPI boot
process properly.  I could probably flash this thing but why?  I don't
even have a cdrom right now to boot from anyway and that's my only
outstanding bug.

--
"Do you think she's the sincere type? ... Yeah, I was afraid of that."
                        -- Richie Ryan, Highlander: The Series