Re: Boot disks and new DVD drives

On 21-Feb-1999, Sven Rudolph <sr1@os.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl> writes:
>
> > His problem was that the machine wouldn't boot from the CD. I'll bring a
> > slink CD (dated 2/2/99) when I visit him this sunday to see if we can
> > figure out what is wrong.
>
> It is the system BIOS' job to boot from an attached ATAPI drive. So
> I'd blame this instead of Debian unless you found any CD that can be
> booted on that machine.

Another good test would be to replace the DVD-ROM with a CD-ROM and
see whether you can boot from that.  If so, it might be either hardware
issue or a boot loader support issue.

I have certainly booted from a DVD-ROM -- that is how I test the CD
images I create.

--
The quantum sort:
	while (!sorted) { do_nothing(); }