Re: Intent to package BladeEnc

John Travers wrote:
>BladeEnc is a comand line Mp3 encoder that is very fast. If no one is
>already packaging this (I did check) I am about to.
>Homepage is: http://home8.swipnet.se/~w-82625/encoder/
>I haven't fully checked the liscence yet, it says it is freeware. I will
>follow this up.

The license is definately not DFSG:

   Copyright and Distribution

  BladeEnc is freeware, which means that you can use it totally free of
charge and that you may give a copy to anyone you want. You may even
"sell" copies for a small copy and distribution fee or put it on a
magazines coverdisc.

  However, you are not allowed to change the distributed program or its
documentation in any way. BladeEnc.exe and BladeEnc.html should always be
the only files in their folder or archive when distributed.

Tord Jansson is acting kind of like DJB here, he wants to protect his
reputation.

There isn't any source code either.

Also, Fraunhofer has patents covering MP3 encoding in the US and Germany.
This rules out both our master servers, master.debian.org and
ftp.de.debian.org. You won't have any place to upload this package, and if
you are in the US or Germany, you won't be able to freely distribute it
from your homepage (or wherever) either.

What we need here is someone in the Free World who is willing to host
this package. They could host lamer as well - we have the source code for
that :)
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"It's like a love-hate relationship, but without the love." -- jwz, on linux